Learning French increases your appreciation of other people and their cultures and gives you a greater global understanding of the world. French is the first or second language in 57 countries and territories and is spoken by approximately 274 million people. Total French speakers will number approximately 500 million people in 2025 and 650 million people by 2050.
Studying a new language, like French, develops your critical and creative thinking skills. It also increases your problem-solving skills, and improves your memory and decision-making skills.
Knowing French will allow you, not only to function, but also to compete in the global economy of the future! Here are some additional resources about learning a foreign language (especially French). Enjoy!
- Which is the best language to learn? - moreintelligentlife.com article
- Foreign Languages in the News - webpage from ACTFL
- How Bilingualism Can Benefit the Brain - article (cites a major study)
- “What Happens in the Brain When You Learn a Language?” - Guardian article
- “Could Bilingualism Mold Kids’ Brains to Better…” - MindShift article
- Bilingual Children Have Advantage in Noisy Classrooms - BBC story
- 25% increase in French speakers from 2010 to 2014 - report via Reuters
- Why Study French in Particular - interview with Ben Hebebrand
- “7 Reasons You Should Teach Your Children to Speak French” - Business Insider article
- “Which is the Best Language to Learn?” - Intelligent Life (Economist affiliate) article
- “Why Learn French” - informational video
MS French Teacher
The 2015 - 2016 6th Grade French Class